Saturday 8 May 2021

Restoran Wong Ng Kee, Kuala Kubu Bharu - Delicious Hainanese Chicken & Pork Chop!


Whenever I drop by Kuala Kubu Bharu, my default lunch place would be Sun Sun Nam Cheong - their chicken chop never fails to disappoint me. 

During my recent visit, I decided to try out something new. After all, we all need a little shakeup in our routine these days! I randomly started reading reviews of each and every eaterie located in Kuala Kubu Bharu town (it's not too hard given that it's a small town :p) and found this place.

Chicken Chop & Pork Chop! 
Wong Ng Kee is located on the same row as Sun Sun Nam Cheong. 
Like Sun Sun Nam Cheong, the interior was rather old school and reminded me a lot of my hometown.
The people running Wong Ng Kee seems to be all senior citizens who really know what they're doing. I visited on a Monday afternoon, and the shop was empty when we arrived but the seats got filled up with hikers shortly.  

The menu is written on the whiteboard - all in Chinese characters. They serve dishes from chicken rice, char siew rice, noodles, Chinese "dai chow" dishes etc etc. There are a few news clipping featuring the restaurant. 

I was feeling the pressure from staring at the menu for too long so I decided to go for their "must-try" - Their Chicken Chop with Mushroom sauce & pork chop

Iced Kopi RM2
The coffee here was thick & rich - just how I like it! Even though it doesn't have the layer of foam on top which I'd love, it was a delectable treat on a hot sunny afternoon. 
Chicken Chop with Mushroom Sauce RM16
Served with a side of fries & fried eggs, with a few slices of cucumber. 
The chicken chop served here is different from other Hainanese restaurants I've tried - the crust enclosing the chicken & fries is crispier - corn starch, I suppose. You can opt for the usual tomato-based sauce instead too. 
I have to say the portion was huge! The chicken was juicy on the inside and crispy outside. Yums! 

Pork Chop RM16
Similar to the Chicken Chop, the pork chop was encrusted in a crispy, cornstarch crust, served with a tomato-based sauce, fries, fried eggs and a few slices of cucumber. 

Verdict: Definitely would visit this place when I'm in Kuala Kubu Baru the next time :D The food portion is huge and they are open for dinner too! The service can be a little slow, as there were only a few staffs and they seem to cook one dish at a time, but no complaints! After all, let's take a step back and enjoy the old town charm a little. 

Wong Ng Kee Restaurant
28, Jalan Mat Kilau, 
Kampung Tun Abdul Razak, 
44000 Kuala Kubu Baru, Selangor

Opening hours: 
Saturdays to Thursdays,11:30am-9:30pm 
Closed on Fridays

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top