Monday 3 May 2021

Monthly Goals Review: April

April. What a month. Definitely felt a lot better compared to March - I managed to break my routine quite a bit, and went on my very first hike of the year @ Sg Pisang! I celebrated my 26th birthday (wait, what? I've past quarter-life???), I also had a good week-long break end of April (which explains this late post) and managed to squeeze in an overnight trip to Kuala Kubu Baru. Feeling much more refreshed after a much-needed break & holiday :) 

At the start of April, I started to go out a little more and meeting friends (a small group of 1-3 friends at most because well, we are still in the midst of a pandemic!) at the start of April, which really felt great - I really miss the social interaction and connecting with friends :). However, as the cases are on the rise again, I decided to limit my social interaction once again, which is definitely a bummer, but much needed action. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, and we should not let our guards down yet! 


Financial Goals 

1) Save at least 40% of my income every month 

I was thiiiiiis close to not achieving my goal. Spent quite a bit for my trip but I've had some amount saved up in my sinking fund so phew! 

Like the month of March, as I have started going out more, a bulk of my expenses was spent on dining out. 



2) Establish a side income stream
Finally T_T 
(note: I have yet to break even hahah - figure in the box is just my revenue)

A very kind friend (Hi Nad if you're reading this) offered to buy some of my cookies, and I'm ever grateful for that opportunity. I plan to open my cookies order soon, and hopefully, I can break even....:D? 

And yes, I'm very excited to announce that I will be launching my home baking business soon :) You've seen me sharing a lot about my baked goods, and you may be able to have a taste of them soon! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Hoping to be able to share more updates on this in May! 


Personal Growth / Learnings

1) Listen to at least one podcast every day

Will be sharing my takeaways in my Good Reads/Videos/Podcasts post so stay tuned :D 


2) Read at least one paragraph of non-fiction/fiction every day

I really love Totto Chan. It was such a heartwarming read - the story is an autobiography of the author, who was expelled from her primary school because of her "difficult" behavioural. Read my review for Totto Chan on Goodreads here


3) Participate in at least one online events and/or online courses every month
For the month of April, I've completed the Managing Emotions in Times of Uncertainty & Stress course by Yale University 

This course is designed for school staffs, but I find the content of the course helpful and relevant for each and every one of us - especially now that we're in times of uncertainty. This is one course I really enjoyed - the videos & reading materials are all bite-sized (2-6 minutes!). I'm trying to practice some of the strategies I've learnt in the course. Definitely, changing one's habit and shifting one's mindset is not easy but I'm trying :) 

Shared my reflection in this article on my LinkedIn profile. I'd like to shout-out to myself for mustering up the courage to share it on LinkedIn - I struggle in sharing things (I know - the irony is I share quite a bit of my reflection here on my blog, which is public) online. 


4) Cook/Bake at least one dish per week

Week 1: Hot cross buns!
Also sharing a photo of my sourdough pizza because this has been my most successful attempt on making a decently round pizza! 
Week 2: New & improved hot cross buns (included sultanas and baked them apart on a large baking sheet rather than cramming them all in a pyrex), and a toss all them leftover ingredients in a pan meal :p 
Also mass baked cookies for my friend who ordered them! 
Week 3: Guinness Beef Stew! Attaching a photo of my sourdough baked on that week too because it was one of my most beautiful loaf so far! I feel that I am really getting the hang of sourdough baking now - and am able to gauge the proofing time better :) 

This month, I'd like to end this post differently. I was really looking forward to my long break & short getaway & my birthday celebration, which all took place end of April and I realise it really pushed me forward to go through my day. I definitely feel a little empty, now that what I've been looking forward to for so long has since..been experienced, savoured, and come to an end.

I know I sound a little dramatic here, but I believe it is because that was my first trip in a long time I can't help but feel so...blue. I catch myself dwelling over my trip a littleeeee bit too much and thus, would like to dedicate a section here to write about things I look forward to this month, because having things to look forward to is really such a pleasant feeling, and it helps me focus on the present too :) 


Things I am looking forward to this month

1. Getting my vaccine

Yes, I've successfully booked a slot of the AstraZeneca vaccine! 
Honestly a bit nervous about the potential side effects, and also the pain during the vaccine huhu, but feeling kinda excited at the same time!

2. Hari Raya break!

Yay for more holidays :P Oh and, we'll have another public holiday for Wesak Day! 

3. Kick-starting my home bakery business

Planning to get myself a food handling license & register for my business. Will be sharing my progress here :D 

4. Developing new cookie flavours!

R&D for cookies is expensive. But this time around I'm excited as it'll be part of my business plan :D I have a few flabours I'd like to test out, and hopefully it'll pay off :) 


With the cases on the rise, it seems like a lockdown might be looming huhu. Hoping for a sane May and stay safe everyone! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top