Saturday 2 January 2021

Monthly Goal Review: December

Last one for the year! For some reason, December felt like..a roller coaster ride. Every week something different was happening. It was a great month I'd say all in all, I was more engaged than ever at my work, and I had a nice 1.5-week break towards the end of December :) 

I wasn't too consistent in some of these goals this month though. But that's alright. We all need a break sometimes. 


1. Be comfortable on my own + journal how I feel every weekend

Weekend 1: Baking and cooking a lot. Was feeling rather restless, so I decided to drive out to share some of my baked goods with two friends

Weekend 2: Had a Closing the Gap meeting with my mentee. Forced myself to go out with colleagues for a meal. Had a nice video call with a friend. Cooked and baked. Satisfied.

Weekend 3: Was a partial working weekend. Was feeling fulfilled from work despite the busyness

Weekend 4: Went out on both days. Have to admit though I was feeling really meh on Christmas day (25th). But this weekend I felt satisfied and complete, being able to connect with friends.

One reflection I have is if you're ever feeling empty, and wishing for some company, be the one who initiates it. With COVID hanging around us, it is hard to have a social gathering, but there are other ways to reach out to friends (eg by sharing cookies!). I realise it lifts my mood a lot :) 


2. Buy only clothes that are listed on my long-term planning wishlist

DIDN'T BUY ANY CLOTHES. YAY ME.


3. Initiate at least one event per month

N/A sorry Jia Qi


4. Read at least two books per month

Books I've read this month:

Everything I Never Told You, Celeste Ng

Only managed to do one book this month. This is the first time I did not hit this particular goal :O But that's also because I find myself busier this month, and also I've been going out a bit this month. 


5. Doing a monthly review of my goals

On it!


6. Do a monthly/weekly review of my spending

For the month of December, I've spent:

RM100 on baking

RM250 on cooking

RM 20 on plants

RM30 on stationery (alphabet stamp set and notebook refill)

RM160 on alcohol-related expenses

All in all satisfied with my expenses for December. Perhaps the alcohol expenses could be reduced. The bulk of it was from one night at my favourite Spanish restaurant, La Cocina, when me and my friend had two pitchers of Sangria on that night. It was indeed a great night. BUT looking back, hmmm :p 

I'm thinking of shifting my money tracking expenses to one that allows me to use on desktop as well and make a visual comparison of my expenses every month. 


7. Carry a notebook and pen wherever I go and jot down notes systematically

Made a lot easier in the month of December, since I worked from home most of the time.


8. Try out something new each week

Week 1

Earl Grey Orange Cake 
Pork Carnitas - a versatile dish which I have used to make burritos, quesadillas, and as a filling for my bagels! 
White chocolate & ginger NY cookie

Week 2:

Hainanese Pork Chop
Dinner roll

Week 3

Pistachio Lime Cake! Not exactly new as I have made Pistachio Lemon Cake back in September

Potato and Leek Soup

Brownies Brittle

Week 4

Beef chili

Falafel and pita bread that doesn't look like pita bread
Rosemary, garlic and cheese pull-apart bread
Artisan Bread

9. Complete a weekly challenge with Sophie
This challenge thing somehow just went dead ...

10. Minimise digital distraction

11. Write more at least 100 words per day (not including what I write at work)

12. Log down news article I've read and jot down my thoughts about it, ie reading with purpose.

13. Curate at least two content on @pot_tosynthesis every week (Stories/Post)

14. Set at least two little goals every day

For some reasons, maybe because December was busy time at work, and/or I was in a holiday mood towards the end of December, I wasn't consistent at all for these goals. Some of the goals required some updating too (especially no 9! It's really vague) But that's okay. We all need a little break from time to time! 

As per the trend recently, the only goal that I have consistently outperform was to try out something new every week. I remember when I was setting this goal early in 2020, I was rarely in the kitchen and glad it has now become a weekly habit 

I probably should write a proper reflection post and restart + review these goals for 2021. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top